Its coming ever closer to the release dates of both the Black magic cinema camera and the Sony fs-700 so I am going to spend my time re-capping on all the info we’ve had on these cameras as they excite me the most in the Film Market this year, why? Well were getting two things here, a pro camera that can shoot slow motion 4k ready & a consumer priced camera that can shoot RAW 4.4.4 2.5k Images to 24p & 25p (NICE!).
I know the Sony is an awful lot more expense but it interests me some what as I can easily see this being the first of a long line of slow motion capable cameras at a lower price point (I am a big fan of slow motion so 200fps PAL really excites me). As we all know the bigger company’s set the pace for the smaller ones and thus the features eventually find themselves getting more and more accessible, (how long before we see 200fps in a HDSLR?-More likely not to be from the rather ignorant Canon makers). The key features of the Sony:
- 4K-ready. The first 4K-ready Super35mm camcorder in its class – providing an assured upgrade path to 4K acquisition and delivery – with full HD 1080p for today.The camcorder will also have the capability to produce 4K RAW 3G-SDI output via a future upgrade.
- Super slow motion at 10x at full HD or 40x at lower resolutions. Incredible super slow motion capability of up to 10x slow motion at full HD resolution or up to 40x slow motion at a reduced resolution, giving you creative options that were once only available with specialist high-end equipment.
- E-mount interchangeable lenses offer a wide choice of lenses. The E-mount interchangeable lens system utilises an extremely short flange back distance allowing you to use a huge array of lenses via a range of adaptors giving you almost unlimited creative options.
- Additional A-mount lenses available. The Sony LA-EA2 A-mount lens adaptor allows you to use the wide range of high quality alpha lenses and take advantage of the auto focus function for quicker, more convenient operation.
- Built-in HD filters. The NEX-FS700E features built-in, ultra-thin ND filters, offering exceptional shallow depth-of-field on highlights. It also means less accessories to manage as no external ND filters are required.
- 3G-SDI interface and HDMI A 3G-SDI output enables easy integration with highest quality recording formats.
- Exceptional ergonomics. The NEX-FS700E has a refined ergonomic design with a robust detachable handle and grip.
- Switchable 50 Hz and 60 Hz shooting. The NEX-FS700E is switchable between 50 Hz and 60Hz to allow 24p shooting in PAL areas and no PAL/NTSC limitations.
- Selectable magnification and positioning of expanded focus. Expanded focus improvement allowing 4x and 8x magnification and a moveable area of expansion for easy focusing with shallow depth of field.
- Camera profile settings storage on memory card.Up to 99 camera profile settings can be stored, allowing rapid adaptation to multiple shooting environments without time wasted adjusting parameters. Settings are also easily shared in multi-camera productions.
4K ready is very interesting, it is not clear yet if the eventual upgrade will cost but I imagine for some one who is buying this camera the knowledge of it being future proof will sell the deal for them, I know it would for me. For around £64000 this camera is packing a massive punch, A HUGE improvement from the Sony fs-100, I can see this camera being a huge success, if only I had the money……
This camera really did astonish the world back in April, everybody was irritated by the useless attempt Canon had made with the video features (image wise) on the canon 5dmrkiii and quite frankly a lot of people where expecting more. So from this disappointment we got an absolute shocker announced by Black magic (a company who normally make external recording devices). This is why it was a shocker:
“The Blackmagic design cinema camera has a beautiful design featuring a machined aluminium chassis and is one of the worlds finest digital film cameras. It has features that are as attractive as its appearance, such as 12-bit RAW uncompressed and compressed ProRes and DNxHD file formats, high resolution 2.5K sensor, interchangeable optics, 13 stops of dynamic range and 12-bit RAW uncompressed and compressed ProRes and DNxHD file formats! It includes a sun shield, power supply, carry strap, UltraScope waveform monitoring software and a full version of DaVinci Resolve Software for Mac OS X and Windows.”
- Elegant, sophisticated and jam packed with the latest digital cinema technology, this camera gives your work that timeless feature film look! It features an amazing 2.5K image sensor with a wide 13 stops of dynamic range for a true digital film camera. You get a built-in SSD recorder, popular open standard uncompressed RAW and compressed file formats, compatibility with quality EF and ZE mount lenses, LCD touchscreen monitoring plus metadata entry, all packed into an exciting hand held design!
- Move to Digital Film. The camera features a high resolution sensor with wide dynamic range making it perfect for independent film, television commercials and episodic television production. DaVinci Resolve software for Mac™ and Windows™ is included so you can work at the highest quality and get the best results. The Camera is both affordable and a complete solution because it includes a built-in recorder and monitoring, so it’s perfect for displacing video-only cameras for work such as sporting events, weddings, music videos and more!
- 13 Stop Dynamic Range. Regular video cameras clip video so you are locked into images that look cheap. It eliminates this problem as it captures a super wide dynamic range of 13 stops into 12-bit DNG files, so your images look truly cinematic. This preserves detail in both shadows and highlights, and even handles indoor shots while keeping the details of any images captured through windows. This means you keep all sensor data so you can make creative decisions during DaVinci Resolve color grading!
- Premium Quality. Building one of the finest cameras in the world requires attention to every detail. The Camera’s premium quality design features a machined aluminum chassis, interchangeable optics, high resolution 2.5K sensor, 13 stops of dynamic range and 12-bit RAW uncompressed and compressed file formats! Every aspect of the image path has been totally optimized for quality, so this means you always get the quality you need for the most demanding work.
- EF Compatible Lens Mount. With this product you can use the most amazing optics from the world’s leading lens crafters such as Canon, Zeiss and many more. This product is compatible with EF and ZE mount lenses, so you can use the lenses you already own! With this Camera you are not locked into any specific lens and you can choose the lens you need based on the creative style of your shot! It allows full electronic control of your lens, so you can simply point, set iris and focus on command!
- Metadata Entry. This is the first camera to feature built-in metadata entry so your files include information compatible with popular editing software. This dramatically speeds up the whole post production process! Entering metadata is easy. Simply tap the capacitive LCD touchscreen to display the slate where you can enter information such as shot number, search tags, scene number, timecode and more! You can even set shot number and other data to increment automatically!
- Built-in SSD Recorder. The camera features a built-in SSD recorder that allows 2.5K uncompressed CinemaDNG RAW 12-bit capture as well as Apple ProRes and Avid DNxHD compressed video formats. All file formats are open standard and used by NLE software so you get the only camera designed from the ground up to be part of a whole post production workflow! When you’ve finished shooting, simply connect the SSD to your computer and edit or color your shots straight from the disk!
All this for roughly £2500 AND you get the Davinci resolve colour grading software FREE! (its normally 1K stand alone). This camera is a MASSIVE bargain, F*#ck low light I am getting 2.5k RAW images for less than your 5dmrkiii.
For the camera geeks out there:
So there’s why this summer is really exiting for the film industry two new cameras (the Sony fs700 and the Black magic cinema camera) are going to be yet again giving us a new era in indie film creation, I for one cant wait to see the videos people are going to be putting out…….